Do you find it hard to control your emotions? Do your emotions often dictate your response? Do you wish you had the techniques to harness your emotions and move forward with your life?
If you answered yes to any of the above, I encourage you to explore Emotion-Focused Therapy, or EFT.
Emotion-Focused Therapy sessions typically center around the development of two key skills:
- Arriving at one’s emotions through increased awareness and acceptance.
- Learning to transform emotions and better use the information they provide to avoid negative or harmful behaviors or other effects of certain emotions.
Initial sessions of therapy focus on helping people arrive at emotions. One or more of the following goals are often included in each session:
- Become more aware of emotions
- Learn to welcome, allow, and regulate emotions
- Learn to describe emotions clearly and in detail
- Increase awareness of the multiple layers of emotional experiences and learn to identify the most direct reaction
If you are seeking help identifying, utilizing and processing your emotions, I encourage you to contact me. Together, we’ll work on increasing awareness of emotions, separating useful from hurtful emotions and using healthy emotions to guide action!